Huge seizure of cash, drugs in poll-bound Punjab
Chandigarh: Unaccounted cash totalling about
Rs 24 crore and drugs valued at over Rs 33 crore in the
international market have been seized in poll-bound Punjab
since the election schedule was announced last month, Special
Chief Electoral Officer Usha R Sharma said on Monday.
The cash totalling Rs 23.7 crore has been handed over to
the Income Tax Department which was making further
investigations, she said here.
Punjab is going to polls on January 30 and the Model Code
of Conduct came into force on December 24 with the
announcement of the poll schedule.
Seizure of various kinds of drugs during the past three
weeks has also been reported, Sharma said, pointing out that
over 6.34 kg of heroin, valued at over Rs 33 crore in the
international market, has been recovered from different
Some quantity of gold and silver, too, has been made, she
said adding that 12 incidents of violence at different places
have occurred in the run up to polls.
Bailable warrants against 8,103 persons have been executed
and cases against 4,148 persons registered for various
As many as 1,80,338 licenced weapons have been deposited
so far and 36 arms and some ammunition seized from various
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed