Hundreds of wheat bags found with soil
Chandigarh: Authorities in Punjab on Friday raided the warehouses of a government foodgrain procurement agency and found hundreds of gunny bags with soil instead of wheat stocks.
Government sources said the scam could run into millions of rupees. The stocks allegedly belonged to procurement agency Punsup.
The official said at least 1,000 wheat bags had nothing but soil. Checking the remaining stock was on.
Punjab, which contributes nearly 50 percent of India`s total foodgrain production, had procured over 100 lakh metric tonnes of wheat this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deaths in road accidents in year 2014
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...