Hundreds of wheat bags found with soil
Chandigarh: Authorities in Punjab on Friday raided the warehouses of a government foodgrain procurement agency and found hundreds of gunny bags with soil instead of wheat stocks.
Government sources said the scam could run into millions of rupees. The stocks allegedly belonged to procurement agency Punsup.
The official said at least 1,000 wheat bags had nothing but soil. Checking the remaining stock was on.
Punjab, which contributes nearly 50 percent of India`s total foodgrain production, had procured over 100 lakh metric tonnes of wheat this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss