Hundreds of wheat bags found with soil
Chandigarh: Authorities in Punjab on Friday raided the warehouses of a government foodgrain procurement agency and found hundreds of gunny bags with soil instead of wheat stocks.
Government sources said the scam could run into millions of rupees. The stocks allegedly belonged to procurement agency Punsup.
The official said at least 1,000 wheat bags had nothing but soil. Checking the remaining stock was on.
Punjab, which contributes nearly 50 percent of India`s total foodgrain production, had procured over 100 lakh metric tonnes of wheat this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'