Hundreds of wheat bags found with soil
Chandigarh: Authorities in Punjab on Friday raided the warehouses of a government foodgrain procurement agency and found hundreds of gunny bags with soil instead of wheat stocks.
Government sources said the scam could run into millions of rupees. The stocks allegedly belonged to procurement agency Punsup.
The official said at least 1,000 wheat bags had nothing but soil. Checking the remaining stock was on.
Punjab, which contributes nearly 50 percent of India`s total foodgrain production, had procured over 100 lakh metric tonnes of wheat this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak