IAS officer, 9 others booked by Punjab Vigilance in land `scam`
Chandigarh: A suspended IAS officer and nine others were on Friday booked by the Punjab Vigilance Bureau for their alleged involvement in a "fraudulent sale" of government land in Patiala last year.
The bureau registered a case against former Deputy Commissioner of Patiala, Vikas Garg, and nine others for the "fraudulent sale" of government land, situated on Rajbaha Road in Patiala in October last year.
The case was registered following a preliminary enquiry conducted by the bureau on the directions of the state government recently, a bureau spokesman said here today.
The case has been registered under various sections of the IPC relating to different offences, including cheating, fraud and conspiracy, he said.
The bureau has booked Garg, an IAS officer presently under suspension, officers of Revenue Department and some private persons.
The booked include Rajbir Singh, former District Revenue Officer (DRO), Patiala, Gurinder Singh Walia, Naib Tehsildar, Pritpal Singh Kanungo and Suresh Kumar, both Patwari.
No arrest has been made so far, the spokesman said adding the case was being probed.
The former Deputy Commissioner played a key role in the sale of the prime land located in the heart of Patiala city to some private persons, according to the probe being conducted by a senior officer V Neerja.
Garg, however, has denied the allegations saying he was not aware how the government land was transferred to private persons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents