IAS officer, 9 others booked by Punjab Vigilance in land `scam`
Chandigarh: A suspended IAS officer and nine others were on Friday booked by the Punjab Vigilance Bureau for their alleged involvement in a "fraudulent sale" of government land in Patiala last year.
The bureau registered a case against former Deputy Commissioner of Patiala, Vikas Garg, and nine others for the "fraudulent sale" of government land, situated on Rajbaha Road in Patiala in October last year.
The case was registered following a preliminary enquiry conducted by the bureau on the directions of the state government recently, a bureau spokesman said here today.
The case has been registered under various sections of the IPC relating to different offences, including cheating, fraud and conspiracy, he said.
The bureau has booked Garg, an IAS officer presently under suspension, officers of Revenue Department and some private persons.
The booked include Rajbir Singh, former District Revenue Officer (DRO), Patiala, Gurinder Singh Walia, Naib Tehsildar, Pritpal Singh Kanungo and Suresh Kumar, both Patwari.
No arrest has been made so far, the spokesman said adding the case was being probed.
The former Deputy Commissioner played a key role in the sale of the prime land located in the heart of Patiala city to some private persons, according to the probe being conducted by a senior officer V Neerja.
Garg, however, has denied the allegations saying he was not aware how the government land was transferred to private persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH