IAS officer, 9 others booked by Punjab Vigilance in land `scam`
Chandigarh: A suspended IAS officer and nine others were on Friday booked by the Punjab Vigilance Bureau for their alleged involvement in a "fraudulent sale" of government land in Patiala last year.
The bureau registered a case against former Deputy Commissioner of Patiala, Vikas Garg, and nine others for the "fraudulent sale" of government land, situated on Rajbaha Road in Patiala in October last year.
The case was registered following a preliminary enquiry conducted by the bureau on the directions of the state government recently, a bureau spokesman said here today.
The case has been registered under various sections of the IPC relating to different offences, including cheating, fraud and conspiracy, he said.
The bureau has booked Garg, an IAS officer presently under suspension, officers of Revenue Department and some private persons.
The booked include Rajbir Singh, former District Revenue Officer (DRO), Patiala, Gurinder Singh Walia, Naib Tehsildar, Pritpal Singh Kanungo and Suresh Kumar, both Patwari.
No arrest has been made so far, the spokesman said adding the case was being probed.
The former Deputy Commissioner played a key role in the sale of the prime land located in the heart of Patiala city to some private persons, according to the probe being conducted by a senior officer V Neerja.
Garg, however, has denied the allegations saying he was not aware how the government land was transferred to private persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!