Independence Day celebrated across Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Braving inclement weather, people from Punjab, Haryana on Thursday joined the nation to celebrate Independence day amid tight security arrangements across the region.
Patriotic fervour and gaiety marked the occasion across the two states and Union Territory Chandigarh as flag hoisting ceremonies were held at district headquarters, educational institutes and other places.
The celebrations passed off peacefully as no untoward incident was reported from any part of the region, officials said here.
Freedom fighters, who played a vital role in the struggle for independence, were remembered on the occasion.
Amid overcast conditions and slight rainfall, Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil unfurled the tricolour at a function held here.
While Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal unfurled the tricolour at a state level function at Ludhiana and his son and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Bdaal at Mohali.
In Haryana, Governor Jagannath Pahadia unfurled the flag at a function held at Kurukshetra, while Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, unfurled the flag at Sonipat.
Unfurling of the national tri-colour by leaders, parades by contingents of army, police, paramilitary forces, home guards and NCC cadets and school children marked the celebrations at the district headquarters in the twin states and Chandigarh.
School children sung patriotic songs on the occasion.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal called upon the people to launch a crusade against the social evils of drug addiction, female foeticide, and dowry.
He also extols them to cooperate with government in checking environmental degradation to ensure "Punjab as a clean, green and pollution free state".
Addressing a gathering at the Ludhiana Guru Nanak Stadium, the CM underscored the need to launch a vigorous awareness campaign to stamp out these social evils "so as to cherish the aspirations of our freedom fighters, who dreamt of a nation sans illiteracy, unemployment, poverty and starvation, in post independence era".
The venue of the function had to be changed at the last moment from Government college of Boys to the Guru Nanak Stadium due to heavy rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31