Independent councillor Ramesh Mal elected AMC Mayo
Ambala: Independent councillor Ramesh Mal was on Tuesday elected the Mayor of Ambala Municipal Corporation with support from Congress councillors.
Mal got 13 votes while the rival BJP candidate Lalita Prashad pulled off five votes. Two councillors left their ballet papers blank, indicating they did not support any candidates.
In the 20-member municipal corporation, there are 14 Congress councillors, four BJP councillors and two Independent councillors.
BJP has strength of four councillors in the House while Congress enjoys the support of 16 councillors, including two Independent councillors.
Before the election of the councillor, commissioner, Ambala range, Yudhveer Khiyalia administrated the oath to the newly elected councillors.
Local MLA Vinod Sharma and OSD to chief minister MS Chopra were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'