Independent councillor Ramesh Mal elected AMC Mayo
Ambala: Independent councillor Ramesh Mal was on Tuesday elected the Mayor of Ambala Municipal Corporation with support from Congress councillors.
Mal got 13 votes while the rival BJP candidate Lalita Prashad pulled off five votes. Two councillors left their ballet papers blank, indicating they did not support any candidates.
In the 20-member municipal corporation, there are 14 Congress councillors, four BJP councillors and two Independent councillors.
BJP has strength of four councillors in the House while Congress enjoys the support of 16 councillors, including two Independent councillors.
Before the election of the councillor, commissioner, Ambala range, Yudhveer Khiyalia administrated the oath to the newly elected councillors.
Local MLA Vinod Sharma and OSD to chief minister MS Chopra were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion
- Bomb disposal squad deployed in central England after arrests
- US Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal drawn for potential semi-final clash
- Long traffic jams may increase risk of cancer!