Independent councillor Ramesh Mal elected AMC Mayo
Ambala: Independent councillor Ramesh Mal was on Tuesday elected the Mayor of Ambala Municipal Corporation with support from Congress councillors.
Mal got 13 votes while the rival BJP candidate Lalita Prashad pulled off five votes. Two councillors left their ballet papers blank, indicating they did not support any candidates.
In the 20-member municipal corporation, there are 14 Congress councillors, four BJP councillors and two Independent councillors.
BJP has strength of four councillors in the House while Congress enjoys the support of 16 councillors, including two Independent councillors.
Before the election of the councillor, commissioner, Ambala range, Yudhveer Khiyalia administrated the oath to the newly elected councillors.
Local MLA Vinod Sharma and OSD to chief minister MS Chopra were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon