Independent councillor Ramesh Mal elected AMC Mayo
Ambala: Independent councillor Ramesh Mal was on Tuesday elected the Mayor of Ambala Municipal Corporation with support from Congress councillors.
Mal got 13 votes while the rival BJP candidate Lalita Prashad pulled off five votes. Two councillors left their ballet papers blank, indicating they did not support any candidates.
In the 20-member municipal corporation, there are 14 Congress councillors, four BJP councillors and two Independent councillors.
BJP has strength of four councillors in the House while Congress enjoys the support of 16 councillors, including two Independent councillors.
Before the election of the councillor, commissioner, Ambala range, Yudhveer Khiyalia administrated the oath to the newly elected councillors.
Local MLA Vinod Sharma and OSD to chief minister MS Chopra were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons