Indira Gandhi`s assassins honoured by Akal Takht
Amritsar: The two killers of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi were on Sunday honoured by Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikh religion, on their 24th death anniversary amid presence of a local Akali leader.
Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh were hanged on January 6, 1989 after a trial for killing Gandhi in 1984.
Jathedar Gaini Gurbachan Singh presented a `siropa` (robe of honour) to Tirlok Singh, father of Satwant Singh at a function organised by SGPC.
The `Jathedar` also accorded them the status of `martyrs of faith`.
SAD Amritsar president and former MP Simranjit Singh Mann and Dal Khalsa (Sikh radical outfit) leader Kanwar Pal Singh were present at the occasion.
However, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar was not present in the ceremony, in which no speech was delivered but Ardas (prayer) was offered in their memory.
Dal Khalsa leader Kanwar Pal Singh told reporters, "On this day, we pay rich tributes to them as they sacrificed their lives to avenge the sacrilege of Darbar Sahib and Akal Takht."
He said, "Sikhs feel proud of them and have full respect for their martyrdom."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof