Indira Gandhi`s assassins honoured by Akal Takht
Amritsar: The two killers of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi were on Sunday honoured by Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikh religion, on their 24th death anniversary amid presence of a local Akali leader.
Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh were hanged on January 6, 1989 after a trial for killing Gandhi in 1984.
Jathedar Gaini Gurbachan Singh presented a `siropa` (robe of honour) to Tirlok Singh, father of Satwant Singh at a function organised by SGPC.
The `Jathedar` also accorded them the status of `martyrs of faith`.
SAD Amritsar president and former MP Simranjit Singh Mann and Dal Khalsa (Sikh radical outfit) leader Kanwar Pal Singh were present at the occasion.
However, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar was not present in the ceremony, in which no speech was delivered but Ardas (prayer) was offered in their memory.
Dal Khalsa leader Kanwar Pal Singh told reporters, "On this day, we pay rich tributes to them as they sacrificed their lives to avenge the sacrilege of Darbar Sahib and Akal Takht."
He said, "Sikhs feel proud of them and have full respect for their martyrdom."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof