Indira Gandhi`s assassins honoured
Amritsar: Two assassins of prime minister Indira Gandhi were Sunday honoured by a senior Sikh clergyman to mark the 24th anniversary of their hanging.
The head of Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikh religion, honoured the kin of the assassins at the Golden Temple complex here.
Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh were hanged 24 years ago for gunning down Gandhi at her official residence, an event that led to large-scale anti-Sikh violence in parts of India.
While Satwant Singh and Beant Singh, who were in the security ring of Indira Gandhi, shot at her from close range Oct 31, 1984, Kehar Singh was linked to the murder conspiracy.
Beant Singh was shot dead by Indira Gandhi`s security guards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note