Infant among 2 children charred to death in Punjab
Ludhiana: An infant and her elder brother were on Sunday charred to death while their two other siblings sustained serious burn injuries in Bhatian village on the outskirts of the city when their `jhuggi` caught fire, police said.
Migrant labourer Kamal Nath, his wife Seema and their children were asleep in the Chitti Colony slum area when their `jhuggi` was engulfed by flames this morning, they said.
Sonu (5) and his younger sister Kamana (14 months) died of burn injuries on the spot while their sisters Payal (7) and Sonia (3) were rushed to Rajindra Hospital at Patiala with critical burn injuries, SHO Ladhowal, PS Gurmit Singh said.
Kamal and his wife also received burn injuries in the fire but they were out of danger, he said.
Police said that the slum did not have an electricity connection and fire apparently started from a candle that was used for lighting the `jhuggi`.
Further investigations were under progress, Singh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi