Inquiry ordered into VIP treatment to Jagir Kaur
Chandigarh: Amid reports that VIP facilities
including an LCD TV were being provided to Bibi Jagir Kaur,
lodged in Theh Kanjla Jail in Kapurthala in connection with
the abduction case of her daughter, a top Punjab Prisons
official on Tuesday ordered an inquiry into it.
Punjab DGP (Prisons) Shashi Kant also insisted that rules
will be followed in the case.
"I have ordered an inquiry and deputed an IG rank officer
to conduct the probe. He will visit the jail and go into all
the reports (talk of VIP treatment to Kaur). I don`t tolerate
any non-sensical stuff and we don`t want any adverse
publicity. Rules will have to be followed," Kant said.
Kant further said that he had also shot off a letter to
Kapurthala jail superintendent, S P Khanna, asking him to
strictly follow the rules.
"My one-line instruction to him was that rules have to
be observed. I am also sending a team for inspection to
Kapurthala Jail. I have asked the Jail superintendent that
rules have to be observed at all costs," Kant said.
Asked to comment on reports that a 32-inch LCD TV and
DTH dish antenna was installed in the jail yesterday, Kant
said he had got it checked from Khanna and the Jail
Superintendent told him that the article had not made its
way inside the complex where prisoners are lodged.
"The jail superintendent said the TV could have been
purchased by someone living in the residential complex inside
the jail complex. The outer gate of the jail is common and
besides the Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent there are
doctors and other staff who live in the residential quarters
in the complex. It could have been for any of them," he said.
When his attention was drawn to media reports that
suggested that there was beeline of visitors who wanted to
meet 57-year-old Kaur, a SAD MLA who resigned as Punjab
Cabinet Minister last week following her conviction, Kant said
according to jail rules, friends and relatives can meet her.
"There is no specified number in jail manuals," he said
when asked how many people can meet her in a day.
Jagir Kaur was last week sent to jail after she was
sentenced to 5 years imprisonment by a CBI court for
conspiring in forcible abortion and abduction in connection
with the mysterious death of her teenaged daughter Harpreet
Kaur 12 years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP