Inter-district gang of robbers unearthed
Phagwara: Police on Tuesday claimed to have unearthed an inter-district gang of criminals allegedly involved the robbing of an NRI woman here in April.
The accused, identified as Sunny Kumar alias Chandi, Varinder Kumar alias Bhima and Avinash Chander were involved in a number of other incidents of loot and snatching in and around the district in recent past, SP Harkamalpreet Singh Khakh said.
The gang used to strike in deserted areas mostly during the wee hours of the day, Khakh said adding that trio has confessed to have robbed an NRI woman Ritu Chaudhary of her cash, passport, jewellery and other valuables on April three.
Two motorcycles, foreign currency worth USD 4,000, a cellphone, laptop, one gold necklace and a sharp-edged weapon was also recovered from them, he said.
The accused had also allegedly attempted to break open a bank ATM near Palahi village last year, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan