Inter-district gang of robbers unearthed
Phagwara: Police on Tuesday claimed to have unearthed an inter-district gang of criminals allegedly involved the robbing of an NRI woman here in April.
The accused, identified as Sunny Kumar alias Chandi, Varinder Kumar alias Bhima and Avinash Chander were involved in a number of other incidents of loot and snatching in and around the district in recent past, SP Harkamalpreet Singh Khakh said.
The gang used to strike in deserted areas mostly during the wee hours of the day, Khakh said adding that trio has confessed to have robbed an NRI woman Ritu Chaudhary of her cash, passport, jewellery and other valuables on April three.
Two motorcycles, foreign currency worth USD 4,000, a cellphone, laptop, one gold necklace and a sharp-edged weapon was also recovered from them, he said.
The accused had also allegedly attempted to break open a bank ATM near Palahi village last year, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened