It is a fight of principles: Sukhbir on cousin Manpreet
Ludhiana: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister
and SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal Friday said his fight with
his cousin Manpreet, who was expelled from the party, was not
a personal one but was based on principles.
"This is not a personal fight with my younger cousin
but a fight of principles," he told public meetings at Maloud,
Mullanpur and Payal in the district.
The Junior Badal asserted he would not backtrack on
promises, including continuation of subsidies to poor farmers,
made to the people in the election manifesto.
He would prefer to get his head decapitated rather
than backtrack on promises made to the massess, he said.
Sacked Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal was at
loggerheads with the Deputy Chief Minister over the issue of
Manpreet, who was expelled from the party, favoured
phased withdrawal of subsidies.
The Shiromani Akali Dal had a history of sacrifices
and as the youngest president of the 90-year-old party, he
would not budge from the principled stand, Sukhbir said.
"Backtracking from promises is a Congress culture and
unfortunately my cousin has played into their hands," the
Deputy Chief Minister said.
He said Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had allowed
free power to the farm sector from day one he took over reins
Accusing the Union government of discriminating
against the state, Sukhbir said it had adopted different
standards for procuring paddy from two neighbouring states of
Punjab and Haryana.
He said the moisture percentage that was 20 per cent
three years ago was reduced to 17 per cent to scuttle
procurement operations in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!