Jagir Kaur’s `Jagir` - LCD TV, DTH in Punjab jail
Kapurthala: Imagine being in jail, receiving VVIP treatment and getting to watch all your favourite television channels on an LCD screen! Yes, that’s the treatment Bibi Jagir Kaur appears to be getting in Kapurthala jail.
On a day Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil accepted the resignation of Jagir Kaur – a leader of the ruling Akali Dal – from the Parkash Singh Badal ministry, a 32-inch LCD TV and a DTH dish antenna were installed inside the jail premises on Monday.
Jagir Kaur was last week held guilty for the abduction and forced abortion of her daughter Harpreet over a decade ago, and was sent to jail. She was however acquitted of her murder.
The jail, meanwhile, seems to be just another home for her.
Reports said the former minister has been lodged some distance away from other inmates in the women’s ward, to have privacy.
Apart from the LCD TV and DTH, she will soon get an air-conditioner too.
While Jagir Kaur is allowed to speak to her relatives freely on mobile phone, one of her daughters, Rajneet Kaur, and son-in-law, Yuvraj Bhupinder Singh, are with her almost through the day.
Jail authorities also allow home-cooked food to be brought inside jail for her three times a day, besides fruits and mineral water.
As regards how she spends the day in jail, sources say Jagir Kaur visits the prison gurdwara everyday in the morning and then stays in the visitors’ room for most of the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon