`Jail reforms legislation to be introduced soon`
Kapurthala: The draft of a jail
reforms legislation to provide more facilities to prisoners
is "almost ready" for introduction in the state Assembly,
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Thursday said.
Badal, who was here to inaugurate a Rs 123 crore modern
jail at Theh Kanjala village in the district, said, "Draft of
the jail reforms legislation was almost ready and it would be
passed in the due course of time."
He was responding to a question on the delay in bringing
the legislation in the Assembly.
Badal said new jails would come up at Faridkot, Mansa and
Nabha to cope with the rush of prisoners. "Family quarters
were also being constructed in the modern jail premises so
that inmates could spend some days on parole with their
families," he said.
1,600 inmates from central jail Jalandhar were shifted to
the jail here, Badal said, adding that the new jail could
accommodate more than 2,870 inmates.
Punjab`s Jail Minister Hira Singh Gabria said Rs 308 crore
has been spent on modern jails at Kapurthala, Nabha, Mansa and
Faridkot which would enhance the capacity of inmates to 7,000.
He said at present the capacity of jails in Punjab was
12,000 inmates while the number of prisoners are about 18,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE