Jaitley does not want BJP to win over 160 seats: Amarinder
Amritsar: Firing yet another salvo at Arun Jaitley, Congress leader Amarinder Singh on Thursday alleged that he did not want the BJP to win more than 160 seats to queer pitch for party`s prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi.
Former Punjab Chief Minister and Congress candidate from Amritsar claimed that people like Jaitley and few others hope that in case BJP got less than 160 seats it will be difficult for Modi to become the PM.
"People of Amritsar would like Jaitley to clarify these charges against him", he said in a statement here, adding, "a man who cannot be loyal to his own party and own leader cannot be loyal to people of Amritsar either".
However, Singh said that Jaitley and his club will not need to really work that hard to keep the party`s tally below 160, saying he would guarantee BJP will not cross 150 seats even.
The senior Congress leader also had a dig at the Akalis by calling them "self professed and proclaimed patrons" of Jaitley.
He advised the "over-excited" Akali leaders to first ask Jaitley whether he was really interested and serious about winning Amritsar lest it subverted his `160 club` plan.
"In any case he (Jaitley) is not going to win from Amritsar and hence my advice to you is not to try to be more loyal than the king", he advised the Akalis.
Amarinder said, it was perfectly in accordance with the `160 club` game plan that the senior leaders of the party like L K Advani, Dr Murli Manohar Joshi and Jaswant Singh were humiliated and being pruned out.
BJP leaders however dismissed the talk of `160 club`.
"There is a Modi wave and we are working to cross the target of 272 seats," a senior BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'