Jalandhar building collapse: Toll rises to 18
Jalandhar: An 18-year-old school dropout from Bihar on Thursday became another miracle survivor of the Sunday`s factory building collapse here, even as the death toll climbed to 18.
Nitesh, who was working in the carpet factory to support himself and his family, was pulled out from the rubble 73 hours after the accident took place.
Yesterday, teenager Sanjeev had been taken out of the rubble miraculously.
Ten bodies have been retrieved from the debris so far while eight more bodies can be seen trapped under the rubble, District Magistrate Priyank Bharti said.
The eight bodies are yet to be extricated, he added.
An official of the National Disaster Response Force said that it may take two more days to clear the rubble.
Of the 62 persons rescued so far, over 50 injured have already been discharged after medical aid. The remaining are still admitted at the Sadar Hospital.
The three-storey building collapsed at around midnight on Sunday in Focal Point area here.
Meanwhile, a local court today extended the police remand of the factory owner, Sheetal Vij, for four more days.
A case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder has been registered against the factory owner, who was arrested on Monday.
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs two lakh each to the kin of the deceased. It also announced a compensation of Rs 65,000 each to the seriously injured and Rs 45,000 each to injured persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid