Jalandhar girls` suicide: Punjab govt orders probe
Chandigarh: Punjab government on Friday ordered a probe into the suicide of a college student after she was allegedly humiliated in public by traffic police personnel at a `Naka` (check-post).
"Punjab Police lady traffic Inspector Balwinder Kaur, who was heading the check-post, has been placed under suspension with the immediate effect by the Principal Secretary, Home DS Bains," an official spokesman said here.
Shivali (20), a BA student of Prem Chand Markanda SD College, Jalandhar was allegedly harassed by traffic police personnel yesterday at the Naka.
Shivali was travelling in a car with a boy when they were stopped by the traffic cops at the check-post near the College and publicly humiliated her despite pleading that the two were known to each other.
Despite her requests that it would bring a bad name to her and she would be forced to commit suicide, the lady Inspector and her team allegedly humiliated the girl in front of mediapersons.
A couple of hours later, Shivali`s body was found on a railway track nearby.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal has asked Inspector General, Jalandhar Zone Gurpreet Deo to conduct a thorough inquiry in the circumstances leading to the girl`s suicide, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj