J&K terror attack: Pall of gloom descends on Army officer`s residence
Chandigarh: A pall of gloom descended on the neighbourhood after the news of Lt Col Bikramjeet Singh`s death in a terrorist attack on an army camp in Jammu region reached his residence here on Thursday.
There was complete silence and state of mourning at Singh`s residence in Sector 8 of the city, with his aged father Major (Retd) Paramjeet Singh still coming to terms with the tragedy.
The family members refused to talk to mediapersons who visited the residence.
People from different walks of life and neighbours visited the house and expressed their condolences to the bereaved family.
Gurpreet Kaur (43), a cousin of the martyr, told mediapersons that Bikramjit was a brave man and spent his childhood in different parts of the country with his father, who too was in the army.
Singh has an eight-year-old daughter, she said.
Meanwhile, the body of the martyr was brought in a helicopter to Chandimandir, a military station near Panchkula.
The family members were taken to the military station, and later the body was shifted to a mortuary in Chandimandir.
The last rites of Lt Col Bikramjit Singh will be performed tomorrow with full state honours, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days