Joginder Mann drops his plan to contest as a rebel
Phagwara: In a political somersault,
Joginder Singh Mann, a three-time Congress MLA from Phagwara
and a former Punjab minister dropped his plan to contest as a
Mann had declared on Tuesday that he would contest as an
independent candidate against party`s official candidate
Balbir Raja Sodhi.
Today, he declared his unconditional support for party
candidate Sodhi, dropping his plan to file his nomination as a
Mann, who had won from Phagwara in 1985, 1992, 2002 but
lost in 2007 assembly polls, was denied a party ticket this
He had revolted against this and had organised a big
protest rally of his supporters here on Sunday. An 11-member
Action Committee was constituted by his supporters and Mann
had declared to file his nomination as a rebel candidate
But prolonged hectic parleys between DCC President Harjit
Singh Parmar and Mann and his supporters at the latter`s
residence today and personal intervention on phone by PPCC
President and former CM Captain Amarinder Singh and PPCC
General Secretary Rana Gurjit Singh made Mann take this
Mann claimed that Captain Amarinder Singh had rung him
up, assuring him that he (Mann) will be "adjusted" and given
full regards in the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'