Justice Yadav`s arrest in cash-at-door scam stayed
Chandigarh: Acting on a petition filed by Justice Nirmal Yadav who apprehended her arrest in the cash-in-bag scam, the Punjab and Haryana high court on Friday stayed her arrest in the case.
The court has however asked her to first appear before the special CBI court Chandigarh, where she has been chargesheeted for corruption charges, to furnish the bail bond.
The directions were passed by Justice Permod Kohli of the HC while hearing her bail petition. While claiming her innocence in the case, Justice Yadav submitted before the court that she had been falsely implicated by the CBI, bureaucrats and politicians who made her a scapegoat because her brother was a minister in the Haryana government.
Expressing surprise over the charge sheet submitted by the CBI against her, Justice Yadav submitted that she always performed her duties honestly.
HC also issued notice to the CBI asking it to respond the contentions raised by Yadav.
Noted lawyer Anupam Gupta who was also present in the courtroom, accepted the notice on behalf of the CBI. Advocate Gupta has been recently designated as special public prosecutor by the CBI to contest the case before the trial court against Justice Yadav.
The scandal came to fore after a clerk, allegedly sent by the then Additional Advocate General of Haryana Sajeev Bansal, dropped the money at the official residence of Justice Nirmaljit Kaur on August 13, 2008. Justice Kaur said to have reported the matter to the local police about an attempt to bribe her with a briefcase containing Rs 15 lakh in cash.
When the matter was investigated by the CBI and an in-house panel of three judges appointed by the Supreme Court (SC), Justice Yadav was held responsible for irregular purchase of land at Solan.
In its report, the CBI found that Justice Nirmal Yadav required Rs 15 lakh on August 13, 2008 for financing the purchase of 11.01 bighas of land at village Rihun, Pargana Baholi of Solan District in Himachal Pradesh.
On March 4 this year, the CBI filed a charge sheet against advocate Sanjeev Bansal, Delhi based hotelier Ravinder Bhasin, Justice Nirmal Yadav, Chandigarh based businessman Rajiv Gupta and Nirmal Singh. At present, the trial of the case is pending with the special CBI court Chandigarh. Justice Nirmal Yadav is evading appearance before the court for one or the other reason and the special court has recently directed to paste court summons outside her residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'