Justice Yadav`s arrest in cash-at-door scam stayed
Chandigarh: Acting on a petition filed by Justice Nirmal Yadav who apprehended her arrest in the cash-in-bag scam, the Punjab and Haryana high court on Friday stayed her arrest in the case.
The court has however asked her to first appear before the special CBI court Chandigarh, where she has been chargesheeted for corruption charges, to furnish the bail bond.
The directions were passed by Justice Permod Kohli of the HC while hearing her bail petition. While claiming her innocence in the case, Justice Yadav submitted before the court that she had been falsely implicated by the CBI, bureaucrats and politicians who made her a scapegoat because her brother was a minister in the Haryana government.
Expressing surprise over the charge sheet submitted by the CBI against her, Justice Yadav submitted that she always performed her duties honestly.
HC also issued notice to the CBI asking it to respond the contentions raised by Yadav.
Noted lawyer Anupam Gupta who was also present in the courtroom, accepted the notice on behalf of the CBI. Advocate Gupta has been recently designated as special public prosecutor by the CBI to contest the case before the trial court against Justice Yadav.
The scandal came to fore after a clerk, allegedly sent by the then Additional Advocate General of Haryana Sajeev Bansal, dropped the money at the official residence of Justice Nirmaljit Kaur on August 13, 2008. Justice Kaur said to have reported the matter to the local police about an attempt to bribe her with a briefcase containing Rs 15 lakh in cash.
When the matter was investigated by the CBI and an in-house panel of three judges appointed by the Supreme Court (SC), Justice Yadav was held responsible for irregular purchase of land at Solan.
In its report, the CBI found that Justice Nirmal Yadav required Rs 15 lakh on August 13, 2008 for financing the purchase of 11.01 bighas of land at village Rihun, Pargana Baholi of Solan District in Himachal Pradesh.
On March 4 this year, the CBI filed a charge sheet against advocate Sanjeev Bansal, Delhi based hotelier Ravinder Bhasin, Justice Nirmal Yadav, Chandigarh based businessman Rajiv Gupta and Nirmal Singh. At present, the trial of the case is pending with the special CBI court Chandigarh. Justice Nirmal Yadav is evading appearance before the court for one or the other reason and the special court has recently directed to paste court summons outside her residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok