Kamal Sharma new Punjab BJP head
Chandigarh: Staunch RSS activist and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal`s political adviser Kamal Sharma was unanimously elected Punjab BJP chief here on Tuesday.
Kamal Sharma, aged 44, who has been Badal`s political adviser since June last year, succeeds Ashwani Sharma, an MLA, who has completed his 3-year term.
Addressing a gathering of party leaders and workers soon after his election, he said "as a new president, my target is 2014 Parliamentary elections."
"I will work hard to ensure the win of BJP-SAD nominees in all 13 Parliamentary seats in the state," Kamal, who hails from Ferozepur, said.
He said the outgoing chief and his team had done a commendable job and their biggest achievement was re-election of the SAD-BJP government in Punjab.
Kamal, who also held the post of Punjab BJP general secretary, had joined the ABVP in 1985 and later served its national secretary.
BJP vice-president Shanta Kumar and general secretary JP Nadda were present at the meeting held to choose the new Punjab BJP head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users