Kamal Sharma new Punjab BJP head
Chandigarh: Staunch RSS activist and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal`s political adviser Kamal Sharma was unanimously elected Punjab BJP chief here on Tuesday.
Kamal Sharma, aged 44, who has been Badal`s political adviser since June last year, succeeds Ashwani Sharma, an MLA, who has completed his 3-year term.
Addressing a gathering of party leaders and workers soon after his election, he said "as a new president, my target is 2014 Parliamentary elections."
"I will work hard to ensure the win of BJP-SAD nominees in all 13 Parliamentary seats in the state," Kamal, who hails from Ferozepur, said.
He said the outgoing chief and his team had done a commendable job and their biggest achievement was re-election of the SAD-BJP government in Punjab.
Kamal, who also held the post of Punjab BJP general secretary, had joined the ABVP in 1985 and later served its national secretary.
BJP vice-president Shanta Kumar and general secretary JP Nadda were present at the meeting held to choose the new Punjab BJP head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez