Kamal Sharma new Punjab BJP head
Chandigarh: Staunch RSS activist and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal`s political adviser Kamal Sharma was unanimously elected Punjab BJP chief here on Tuesday.
Kamal Sharma, aged 44, who has been Badal`s political adviser since June last year, succeeds Ashwani Sharma, an MLA, who has completed his 3-year term.
Addressing a gathering of party leaders and workers soon after his election, he said "as a new president, my target is 2014 Parliamentary elections."
"I will work hard to ensure the win of BJP-SAD nominees in all 13 Parliamentary seats in the state," Kamal, who hails from Ferozepur, said.
He said the outgoing chief and his team had done a commendable job and their biggest achievement was re-election of the SAD-BJP government in Punjab.
Kamal, who also held the post of Punjab BJP general secretary, had joined the ABVP in 1985 and later served its national secretary.
BJP vice-president Shanta Kumar and general secretary JP Nadda were present at the meeting held to choose the new Punjab BJP head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?