Kamal Sharma new Punjab BJP head
Chandigarh: Staunch RSS activist and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal`s political adviser Kamal Sharma was unanimously elected Punjab BJP chief here on Tuesday.
Kamal Sharma, aged 44, who has been Badal`s political adviser since June last year, succeeds Ashwani Sharma, an MLA, who has completed his 3-year term.
Addressing a gathering of party leaders and workers soon after his election, he said "as a new president, my target is 2014 Parliamentary elections."
"I will work hard to ensure the win of BJP-SAD nominees in all 13 Parliamentary seats in the state," Kamal, who hails from Ferozepur, said.
He said the outgoing chief and his team had done a commendable job and their biggest achievement was re-election of the SAD-BJP government in Punjab.
Kamal, who also held the post of Punjab BJP general secretary, had joined the ABVP in 1985 and later served its national secretary.
BJP vice-president Shanta Kumar and general secretary JP Nadda were present at the meeting held to choose the new Punjab BJP head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming