Kamal Sharma new Punjab BJP head
Chandigarh: Staunch RSS activist and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal`s political adviser Kamal Sharma was unanimously elected Punjab BJP chief here on Tuesday.
Kamal Sharma, aged 44, who has been Badal`s political adviser since June last year, succeeds Ashwani Sharma, an MLA, who has completed his 3-year term.
Addressing a gathering of party leaders and workers soon after his election, he said "as a new president, my target is 2014 Parliamentary elections."
"I will work hard to ensure the win of BJP-SAD nominees in all 13 Parliamentary seats in the state," Kamal, who hails from Ferozepur, said.
He said the outgoing chief and his team had done a commendable job and their biggest achievement was re-election of the SAD-BJP government in Punjab.
Kamal, who also held the post of Punjab BJP general secretary, had joined the ABVP in 1985 and later served its national secretary.
BJP vice-president Shanta Kumar and general secretary JP Nadda were present at the meeting held to choose the new Punjab BJP head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?