Kin of Indira Gandhi`s assassins honoured in Amritsar
Amritsar: The kin of the two assassins of late prime minister Indira Gandhi, who was killed by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984, were on Thursday honoured by Sikh hardliners and some religious leaders at the Golden Temple complex here.
The kin of Beant Singh and Satwant Singh, who shot dead Gandhi in her official residence in New Delhi 29 years ago, were honoured by the head of Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikh religion, and leaders of radical Sikh groups like Damdami Taksal and Dal Khalsa in the presence of officials of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC).
Beant Singh`s son, Sarabjit Singh, was presented with a silver plaque. The son of Kehar Singh, who was convicted for the assassination conspiracy, was also honoured.
Addressing the gathering, radical leaders urged the SGPC to construct a memorial for the three at the Golden Temple complex. A resolution was passed on the occasion which was handed over to `Jathedar` of Akal Takht for implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25