Kingpin of teachers` racket held
Sangrur (Punjab): A man who took Rs 2-3 lakh from 16-17 people promising them jobs as teachers in Punjab government schools has been arrested, police said on Sunday.
Pawan Kumar had assured several candidates that he would help them pass the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET).
He was arrested here late Saturday, Superintendent of Police Sandeep Goyal said.
"He took Rs 2-3 lakh from 16-17 candidates. We have recovered Rs 40 lakh from him," he said.
Kumar is a vice-president of an unemployed teachers` union, Goyal added.
"The accused has good connections with senior officials of the education department," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players