Kingpin of teachers` racket held
Sangrur (Punjab): A man who took Rs 2-3 lakh from 16-17 people promising them jobs as teachers in Punjab government schools has been arrested, police said on Sunday.
Pawan Kumar had assured several candidates that he would help them pass the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET).
He was arrested here late Saturday, Superintendent of Police Sandeep Goyal said.
"He took Rs 2-3 lakh from 16-17 candidates. We have recovered Rs 40 lakh from him," he said.
Kumar is a vice-president of an unemployed teachers` union, Goyal added.
"The accused has good connections with senior officials of the education department," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials