Kingpin of teachers` racket held
Sangrur (Punjab): A man who took Rs 2-3 lakh from 16-17 people promising them jobs as teachers in Punjab government schools has been arrested, police said on Sunday.
Pawan Kumar had assured several candidates that he would help them pass the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET).
He was arrested here late Saturday, Superintendent of Police Sandeep Goyal said.
"He took Rs 2-3 lakh from 16-17 candidates. We have recovered Rs 40 lakh from him," he said.
Kumar is a vice-president of an unemployed teachers` union, Goyal added.
"The accused has good connections with senior officials of the education department," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble