Law and order is state`s responsibility, Congress to Badal
New Delhi: Congress on Monday told Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal that it was the state governments` responsibility to maintain law and order as the latter today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here seeking clemency for Khalistani terrorist Devenderpal Singh Bhullar.
"Maintaining law and order is the responsibility of the state government, the Chief Minister. Law will always take its course. It is the responsibility of the Chief Minister to maintain law and order in any condition," Alvi told reporters at the AICC briefing.
Demanding clemency for Bhullar, Badal earlier said, "What we need most is peace and harmony. If it affects peace and harmony, it will become an emotive issue. We are warning the government that people are emotional. Moreover, he is in a poor health condition... What will they gain by hanging him."
The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) veteran claimed if the Centre or a state government commits even a small mistake, it has to "pay the price".
Alvi evaded direct reply about the fate of Bhullar but insisted "Congress does not interfere into the legal system.
"We have great respect for the judgement of the Supreme Court or any other court."
Alvi, at the same time, caveatted his response by saying that he was not saying this in context with any particular case.
Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikhs, had directed Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee to ensure measures to save Bhullar from the gallows.
The Supreme Court had last week dismissed death row convict Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read