‘Law and order situation in Punjab worrisome’
Chandigarh: Union Minister Ashwani Kumar on Friday expressed deep concern over the law and order situation in SAD-BJP ruled Punjab, saying it was "worrisome".
Kumar, who was speaking to reporters here, gave the example of gunning down of an assistant sub-inspector of Punjab Police in Amritsar recently allegedly by a youth Akali leader when the cop tried to intervene and prevent the accused and his accomplices from teasing his daughter.
"I am of the belief that it is worrisome," the Union Law minister said when asked to comment on his party`s allegation that law and order machinery in the state had crumbled and there was growing sense of insecurity among the common people.
With Congress performing below the expectations in the 2012 Punjab Assembly polls, Kumar said that the party has learnt its lessons and would try to remove the shortcomings in the upcoming polls.
"I can assure you that the Congress will increase its present number of eight Lok Sabha seats from Punjab, in the next general elections," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!