Letter threatens to blow up HC, security beefed up
Chandigarh: Security at the Punjab and Haryana
High Court here has been beefed up after a letter allegedly
from a Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) terrorist, lodged in
Tihar jail in the national capital, threatened to blow up the
court`s premises, police said on Saturday.
"We have stepped up the security around the High Court
building. A Quick Reaction Team has been stationed there while
we are conducting intensive checking of vehicles," SP
(Operations) R S Ghuman told reporters here.
The letter written in Punjabi and signed by BKI terrorist
Jagtar Singh Hawara was received on December one at the Chief
Justice`s Office, the SP said.
In the letter, Hawara has threatened to blow up the
court`s premises if his relative, a Sangrur-based advocate,
was not selected in the examination for Additional District
Judge (ADJ), Ghuman said.
Hawara, convicted in former Punjab Chief Minister Beant
Singh assassination case, is currently lodged in Tihar jail.
The letter has been sent to the Central Forensic Science
Laboratory (CFSL) to see if the handwriting matches with that
of Hawara or whether the whole thing is a mischief played by
someone, the SP said.
"We are also investigating if someone could have written
this letter to defame or damage the reputation of a candidate
appearing in the judicial examination who has the same name as
mentioned in the letter," Ghuman said.
A case has been registered in this connection and a team
has been sent to Sangrur to find out if the relative of Hawara
as mentioned in the letter exists, he said.
A DSP rank officer has been deputed to further investigate
the matter, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past