Lightning kills five, rains cool Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Five people, including a woman, were killed by lightning in two separate places in Punjab, officials said Sunday. Rains over the last two days have brought respite from the sweltering heat in Punjab and Haryana.
Three people died in Muktsar district and two in Bathinda district when thunder and lightning accompanying the summer rains struck Saturday evening, according to officials.
The mercury has dropped by five to eight degrees Celsius in most parts.
Light to moderate rainfall lashed Chandigarh and various parts of Punjab and Haryana late Saturday. There was heavy rainfall in the region Friday night also.
"The mercury had touched 40 to 46 degrees Celsius during the last one week. Now it has dropped by five to eight degrees. These are pre-monsoon showers and we are expecting similar conditions to prevail here for the next couple of days," a Met official said here Sunday.
He added the rainfall is due to fast approaching western disturbances.
Hisar in Haryana had received the maximum rainfall of 35 mm during the last 24 hours.
Chandigarh recorded a maximum temperature of 33.6 degrees Saturday, which was four notches below average. The city received 1.6 mm rainfall.
In Punjab, Ludhiana (15.7 mm rainfall) Saturday registered a maximum of 34 degrees Celsius, seven degrees below average, whereas Patiala (0.7 mm rainfall) had 33.4 degrees, six degrees below average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'