Lightning kills five, rains cool Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Five people, including a woman, were killed by lightning in two separate places in Punjab, officials said Sunday. Rains over the last two days have brought respite from the sweltering heat in Punjab and Haryana.
Three people died in Muktsar district and two in Bathinda district when thunder and lightning accompanying the summer rains struck Saturday evening, according to officials.
The mercury has dropped by five to eight degrees Celsius in most parts.
Light to moderate rainfall lashed Chandigarh and various parts of Punjab and Haryana late Saturday. There was heavy rainfall in the region Friday night also.
"The mercury had touched 40 to 46 degrees Celsius during the last one week. Now it has dropped by five to eight degrees. These are pre-monsoon showers and we are expecting similar conditions to prevail here for the next couple of days," a Met official said here Sunday.
He added the rainfall is due to fast approaching western disturbances.
Hisar in Haryana had received the maximum rainfall of 35 mm during the last 24 hours.
Chandigarh recorded a maximum temperature of 33.6 degrees Saturday, which was four notches below average. The city received 1.6 mm rainfall.
In Punjab, Ludhiana (15.7 mm rainfall) Saturday registered a maximum of 34 degrees Celsius, seven degrees below average, whereas Patiala (0.7 mm rainfall) had 33.4 degrees, six degrees below average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why