Lok Sabha polls: AAP candidate Savita Bhatti opts out of race
Chandigarh: Aam Aadmi Party`s candidate Savita Bhatti on Sunday opted out of Lok Sabha polls from lone Chandigarh parliamentary seat.
Savita, widow of comedian and satirist Jaspal Bhatti shot off an e-mail to the AAP office in Delhi mentioning that she is "not interested" in contesting the general elections.
She refused to give out details for her decision. However, party sources said that she was unhappy as she was not getting much support from the AAP activists at local level after her candidature was announced.
Savita, 52, had launched her campaign last Sunday where certain local AAP leaders maintained distance from her.
AAP spokesman Rajeev Godara and Savita Bhatti could not be reached for comment.
Savita, who was named AAP`s candidate for Chandigarh Lok Sabha seat, had said that fight the against corruption and other problems faced by the common man are going to be on her priority list in the run up to the polls.
A noted TV and films personality, Savita was the second woman candidate after BSP`s Jannat Jahan to be declared by their respective political outfits.
Two main parties - the ruling Congress and BJP are yet to announce their candidate for the Chandigarh seat, which is at present represented by Congress` Pawan Kumar Bansal.
Jaspal Bhatti, known for his comic and satirical street shows on social issues, died in a car accident in October 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves