Lok Sabha polls: AAP candidate Savita Bhatti opts out of race
Chandigarh: Aam Aadmi Party`s candidate Savita Bhatti on Sunday opted out of Lok Sabha polls from lone Chandigarh parliamentary seat.
Savita, widow of comedian and satirist Jaspal Bhatti shot off an e-mail to the AAP office in Delhi mentioning that she is "not interested" in contesting the general elections.
She refused to give out details for her decision. However, party sources said that she was unhappy as she was not getting much support from the AAP activists at local level after her candidature was announced.
Savita, 52, had launched her campaign last Sunday where certain local AAP leaders maintained distance from her.
AAP spokesman Rajeev Godara and Savita Bhatti could not be reached for comment.
Savita, who was named AAP`s candidate for Chandigarh Lok Sabha seat, had said that fight the against corruption and other problems faced by the common man are going to be on her priority list in the run up to the polls.
A noted TV and films personality, Savita was the second woman candidate after BSP`s Jannat Jahan to be declared by their respective political outfits.
Two main parties - the ruling Congress and BJP are yet to announce their candidate for the Chandigarh seat, which is at present represented by Congress` Pawan Kumar Bansal.
Jaspal Bhatti, known for his comic and satirical street shows on social issues, died in a car accident in October 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- DNA: Today in History | 25th August, 2016
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Ronaldo beats Bale, Griezmann to win second UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- After tribal's walk with wife's body, Odisha launches hearse scheme
- PM Modi pips Amitabh Bachchan, becomes most followed Indian on Twitter
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG