Lok Sabha polls: BJP to contest 3, SAD 10 seats from Punjab
Hoshiarpur: The BJP on Tuesday said it would contest three Lok Sabha seats and its ally Shiromani Akali Dal 10 in next year`s general elections from Punjab.
This was the same number of seats contested by the two parties, which are sharing power in Punjab, in the last parliamentary elections in the state.
Punjab BJP chief Kamal Sharma, however, said the party was mulling interchanging some seats with the SAD.
The number of Lok Sabha seats to be contested by the two parties would be the same -- BJP three and SAD 10 -- as in 2009 polls, he said.
"Nevertheless, the BJP may change some constituencies with the SAD," he said.
Sharma`s statement assumes significance in the backdrop of BJP`s three-time MP from Amritsar Navjot Singh Sidhu coming out in open against the Parkash Singh Badal government on the issue of development funds for his constituency.
At present BJP has only one Lok Sabha MP from Punjab -- -- Sidhu from Amritsar constituency.
On the upcoming Delhi elections, Sharma said the SAD and the BJP would unitedly fight the polls.
"The sharing of seats will be decided by the state units of both the parties shortly," the Punjab BJP chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!