Lok Sabha polls: BJP to contest 3, SAD 10 seats from Punjab
Hoshiarpur: The BJP on Tuesday said it would contest three Lok Sabha seats and its ally Shiromani Akali Dal 10 in next year`s general elections from Punjab.
This was the same number of seats contested by the two parties, which are sharing power in Punjab, in the last parliamentary elections in the state.
Punjab BJP chief Kamal Sharma, however, said the party was mulling interchanging some seats with the SAD.
The number of Lok Sabha seats to be contested by the two parties would be the same -- BJP three and SAD 10 -- as in 2009 polls, he said.
"Nevertheless, the BJP may change some constituencies with the SAD," he said.
Sharma`s statement assumes significance in the backdrop of BJP`s three-time MP from Amritsar Navjot Singh Sidhu coming out in open against the Parkash Singh Badal government on the issue of development funds for his constituency.
At present BJP has only one Lok Sabha MP from Punjab -- -- Sidhu from Amritsar constituency.
On the upcoming Delhi elections, Sharma said the SAD and the BJP would unitedly fight the polls.
"The sharing of seats will be decided by the state units of both the parties shortly," the Punjab BJP chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family