Lt Navdeep Singh cremated with full state honours
Gurdaspur: The body of Lieutenant Navdeep
Singh of 15 Maratha Light Infantry, killed in a gunbattle with
militants along the LoC on Saturday, was cremated with full
state honours here on Monday.
An Army contingent gave him the last salute by reversing
their arms and opening fire in the air.
Senior Army officials and political leaders attended the
cremation of 26-year-old Lieutenant who laid down his life for
the nation while fighting militants on the Line of Control in
Bagtor area in Jammu and Kashmir`s Gurez sector.
Twelve infiltrating militants were also killed in the
Punjab Education and Language Minister Sewa Singh
Sekhwan, who placed a wreath on behalf of Chief Minister
Parkash Singh Badal, announced that the bereaved family would
be given Rs two lakh and a plot.
A government job would also given to a family member by
the Punjab government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'