Lt Navdeep Singh cremated with full state honours
Gurdaspur: The body of Lieutenant Navdeep
Singh of 15 Maratha Light Infantry, killed in a gunbattle with
militants along the LoC on Saturday, was cremated with full
state honours here on Monday.
An Army contingent gave him the last salute by reversing
their arms and opening fire in the air.
Senior Army officials and political leaders attended the
cremation of 26-year-old Lieutenant who laid down his life for
the nation while fighting militants on the Line of Control in
Bagtor area in Jammu and Kashmir`s Gurez sector.
Twelve infiltrating militants were also killed in the
Punjab Education and Language Minister Sewa Singh
Sekhwan, who placed a wreath on behalf of Chief Minister
Parkash Singh Badal, announced that the bereaved family would
be given Rs two lakh and a plot.
A government job would also given to a family member by
the Punjab government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof