Ludhiana most populous district of Punjab: State census
Chandigarh: Ludhiana is the most populous district in Punjab, accounting for 12.6 per cent of its population, state census department said on Tuesday.
As per Census 2011 data, which was rolled out here by the department, Ludhiana has a population of 34.99 lakh out of Punjab`s total population of 2,77,43,338 crore, comprising 1,46,39,465 males and 1,31,03,873 females.
Punjab ranks 15th in terms of population and accounts for 2.3 per cent of the total population of India, a release issued by the department said.
Barnala, with a population of 5.96 lakh, is the least populous district in the state, the release said.
During 2001-2011, the population of Punjab increased from 2,43,58,999 to 2,77,43,338 recording an absolute increase of 33,84,339 persons at a growth rate of 13.9 per cent as against growth rate of 20.1 per cent during 1991-2001.
This decadal growth rate of 2001-2011 is the lowest since 1961.
The growth rate is the highest in SAS Nagar at 33.2 per cent and the lowest in SBS Nagar at 4.2 per cent.
The state is experiencing rapid urbanisation, and the increase in urban population at 25.9 per cent is more than thrice the increase of rural population by 7.8 per cent, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh