Ludhiana remains peaceful; curfew relaxed at some places
Ludhiana: Curfew was relaxed for 90 minutes in at least three places in this industrial hub of Punjab where situation today remained peaceful, a day after violent clashes between police and Sikh protesters objecting to a religious congregation by a sect claimed one life and injured 15 others.
The curfew was relaxed for 90 minutes in areas falling under Model town, Saraba Nagar and police station division number five, officials said here adding the situation remained peaceful but tense during the period.
However, strict vigil was in place in rest of the city with forces keeping an eagle`s watch on the situation.
The curfew will remain clamped till further orders to maintain peace and order, Deputy Commissioner Vikas Garg said.
Also, the funeral of Darshan Singh (54), who was killed in the clash went off peacefully at his native Lohara village.
The Punjab Government has announced an ex-gratia grant of Rs five lakh to the next of kin of the victim, officials said here.
Singh along with other Sikh radicals was trying to move towards the venue of a religious function organised by Ashutosh Maharaj. When they refused to stop, police allegedly resorted to firing resulting in Singh`s death and injuries to several others.
Meanwhile, Sikh radical organisations, including Damdami Taksal, have called for Punjab shut down tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam