Main accused in Punjab hooch tragedy arrested
Gurdaspur: The prime accused in the illicit liquor tragedy in Johal Nangal and Balewal villages of the district, which had claimed 13 lives, was arrested on Wednesday, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, Janak Maish, who allegedly sold the spurious liquor to the victims were arrested this morning, they said.
Meanwhile, the Batala police have apprehended five liquor smugglers from the district.
Assistant Taxation and Excise Commissioner(AETC), Gurdaspur, P S Parmar said that in the last four months, the department had conducted raids at different places in the district during which large quantity of illicit liquor was recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?