Main accused in Punjab hooch tragedy arrested
Gurdaspur: The prime accused in the illicit liquor tragedy in Johal Nangal and Balewal villages of the district, which had claimed 13 lives, was arrested on Wednesday, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, Janak Maish, who allegedly sold the spurious liquor to the victims were arrested this morning, they said.
Meanwhile, the Batala police have apprehended five liquor smugglers from the district.
Assistant Taxation and Excise Commissioner(AETC), Gurdaspur, P S Parmar said that in the last four months, the department had conducted raids at different places in the district during which large quantity of illicit liquor was recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16