Man dies in police custody
Patiala: A municipal employee, picked up by police on charges of theft, died here in custody in the wee hours on Monday, with his family alleging he was illegally detained.
Sunil Kumar, a sweeper, was arrested last Friday as he was under the suspicion net in connection with the theft of a truck, police said.
He was initially interrogated at Mai Ji Di Sarai police station, and later sent to Kotwali police station, they said.
In the wee hours, Sunil was brought to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, they said.
Family members of deceased have alleged that he was picked up by police without an FIR been registered against him.
Police said the matter in under investigation and necessary action will be initiated after the post-mortem report is received.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Realty firm Godrej Properties buys 49% stake in its arm Happy Highrises
- Paswan mocks possibility of Nitish becoming PM, says post not vacant for 15 years
- Kolkata wears forlorn look on poll day, less traffic on street
- Seven silent culprits of hair loss!
- Mumbai civic body workers have offered to pay my fine: Kanhaiya Kumar