Man dies in police custody
Patiala: A municipal employee, picked up by police on charges of theft, died here in custody in the wee hours on Monday, with his family alleging he was illegally detained.
Sunil Kumar, a sweeper, was arrested last Friday as he was under the suspicion net in connection with the theft of a truck, police said.
He was initially interrogated at Mai Ji Di Sarai police station, and later sent to Kotwali police station, they said.
In the wee hours, Sunil was brought to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, they said.
Family members of deceased have alleged that he was picked up by police without an FIR been registered against him.
Police said the matter in under investigation and necessary action will be initiated after the post-mortem report is received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?