Man dies in police custody
Patiala: A municipal employee, picked up by police on charges of theft, died here in custody in the wee hours on Monday, with his family alleging he was illegally detained.
Sunil Kumar, a sweeper, was arrested last Friday as he was under the suspicion net in connection with the theft of a truck, police said.
He was initially interrogated at Mai Ji Di Sarai police station, and later sent to Kotwali police station, they said.
In the wee hours, Sunil was brought to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, they said.
Family members of deceased have alleged that he was picked up by police without an FIR been registered against him.
Police said the matter in under investigation and necessary action will be initiated after the post-mortem report is received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees