Man dies in police custody
Patiala: A municipal employee, picked up by police on charges of theft, died here in custody in the wee hours on Monday, with his family alleging he was illegally detained.
Sunil Kumar, a sweeper, was arrested last Friday as he was under the suspicion net in connection with the theft of a truck, police said.
He was initially interrogated at Mai Ji Di Sarai police station, and later sent to Kotwali police station, they said.
In the wee hours, Sunil was brought to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, they said.
Family members of deceased have alleged that he was picked up by police without an FIR been registered against him.
Police said the matter in under investigation and necessary action will be initiated after the post-mortem report is received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Blake Lively feels 'Gossip Girl' reunion will be fun
- England vs Pakistan: Trevor Bayliss keen on hiring Saqlain Mushtaq as bowling consultant
- WATCH: EPIC! Here's who won after The Great Khali and Kane traded brutal chair shots
- India should continue fiscal consolidation for better prospect: IMF
- TCL launches new smartphone at Rs 10,990