Man dies in police custody
Patiala: A municipal employee, picked up by police on charges of theft, died here in custody in the wee hours on Monday, with his family alleging he was illegally detained.
Sunil Kumar, a sweeper, was arrested last Friday as he was under the suspicion net in connection with the theft of a truck, police said.
He was initially interrogated at Mai Ji Di Sarai police station, and later sent to Kotwali police station, they said.
In the wee hours, Sunil was brought to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, they said.
Family members of deceased have alleged that he was picked up by police without an FIR been registered against him.
Police said the matter in under investigation and necessary action will be initiated after the post-mortem report is received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble