Man gets six years RI for abetting wife`s suicide
Moga (Punjab): A local court has sentenced six years of rigorous imprisonment to a man for abetting his wife to commit suicide two years ago in Charik village here.
The court of District and Sessions Judge Kararmjeet Singh Kang on Friday convicted Gurmeet Singh on charge of abetting his wife to commit suicide, the prosecution said today.
A fine of Rs 10,000 was also imposed on him, defaulting the payment of which will lead to further imprisonment of three months, he added.
According to prosecution, a case had been registered against Gurmeet, his brother Mandeep and their mother Surjeet Kaur for abetting Gurmeet`s wife Kamaljeet Kaur to commit suicide by consuming poison as she was regularly harassed for not giving birth to a male child.
The court, however, acquitted Mandeep and Surjeet Kaur due to lack of evidence against them.
Meanwhile, the court also sentenced an accountant to life imprisonment on charge of murdering a property dealer in 2011.
The court sentenced Ram Lal to life imprisonment and also imposed a fine of Rs, 10,000 on him, prosecution said, adding the convict`s wife Guddy was acquitted due to lack of evidence against her.
In a complaint filed by deceased`s brother, property dealer Jagseer Singh of Gidhewala village was asked by Ram Lal to meet him at his employer`s office and was murdered with a sharp-edged weapon.
Ram Lal after committing the crime left for Madhya Pradesh, from where police later arrested him.
The court yesterday after hearing the arguments and going through the evidence pronounced the judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest