Man held with 23 kg opium in Punjab
Patiala: A man has been arrested here with 23 kg of opium worth Rs 15 lakh in the domestic market, police said on Monday.
The man has been identified as Avtar Singh, resident of Fatehgarh Sahib town.
"Working on a tip-off, we laid a trap near Nabha town on Sunday night. We had information that a miscreant was trying to smuggle opium in a white Swift car. On seeing the vehicle, we directed it to stop, but the driver tried to speed away," Gurpreet Bhinder, investigation officer of the case, said here.
"However, after a brief chase, we intercepted the car. We found 23 kg opium worth Rs 15 lakh in it. He had procured it from Madhya Pradesh and was planning to sell it to Punjab-based smugglers," he added.
Avtar Singh was booked under various sections of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam