Man kills daughter, dishonour killing suspected
Hoshiarpur (PB): In a suspected case of dishonour killing, a young woman, who married against the wishes of her family, was killed allegedly by her father and his aide in the district, police said on Tuesday.
Bhupinderjit Kaur(22), daughter of Makhan Singh of Dhiangarh village had fallen in love with Manjinder Singh, a folk singer of Salempur village for the last five years, SSP Hoshiarpur Balkar Singh Sidhu.
However, after the girl`s family opposed the relationship as the youth belong to the Ramgarhia community, the couple got married eight months ago at a Gurdwara, he said.
Angry over the marriage, on the night of July 12, Makhan Singh along with his accomplice Harcharan Singh set Kaur ablaze after sprinkling kerosene on her following which she died on the spot, Sidhu said.
Later, SHO, Mehtiana, Sukhpal Singh instead of registering the case, allegedly took Rs 7.80 lakh to hush up the case and let Makhan Singh go scot free, he said.
However, the entire matter was later probed by DSP Chabbewal and on his report the police last night arrested the accused, Sidhu said.
The SHO had been suspended and a case has been registered against him, the SSP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen