Man kills daughter, dishonour killing suspected
Hoshiarpur (PB): In a suspected case of dishonour killing, a young woman, who married against the wishes of her family, was killed allegedly by her father and his aide in the district, police said on Tuesday.
Bhupinderjit Kaur(22), daughter of Makhan Singh of Dhiangarh village had fallen in love with Manjinder Singh, a folk singer of Salempur village for the last five years, SSP Hoshiarpur Balkar Singh Sidhu.
However, after the girl`s family opposed the relationship as the youth belong to the Ramgarhia community, the couple got married eight months ago at a Gurdwara, he said.
Angry over the marriage, on the night of July 12, Makhan Singh along with his accomplice Harcharan Singh set Kaur ablaze after sprinkling kerosene on her following which she died on the spot, Sidhu said.
Later, SHO, Mehtiana, Sukhpal Singh instead of registering the case, allegedly took Rs 7.80 lakh to hush up the case and let Makhan Singh go scot free, he said.
However, the entire matter was later probed by DSP Chabbewal and on his report the police last night arrested the accused, Sidhu said.
The SHO had been suspended and a case has been registered against him, the SSP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje