Man sent to seven years in prison for rape
Patiala: A local court on Monday sentenced a man to seven years in prison for raping a woman in June last year.
District and Sessions Judge, Patiala, RS Attri sentenced Jiwan Singh within a week after framing the rape charges against him and conducting a subsequent trial in three days.
A fine of Rs 5,000 was also slapped on Singh.
The charge was framed on January 09 and trial was started on January 14 and completed on January 16.
The case was fast tracked in pursuance of the instructions issued by the Chief Justice, Punjab and Haryana High Court, for adopting the day to day trial in all the cases pertaining to the offences against women.
The Sessions Judge also recommended compensation to the victim of rape under the amended provisions of section 357 A of CrPC.
For this purpose, it has been ordered that the case be put up before District Legal Services Authority, Patiala.
On June 29 last year, the woman was alone in her house when Singh barged into and raped her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH