Manish Tewari pulls up Ludhiana officials over MGNREGA funds
Ludhiana: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday pulled up Ludhiana district administration officials for poor utilisation of central funds made available under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
Presiding over a meeting of the district vigilance and monitoring committee here Tewari, the Ludhiana member of parliament, took strong exception to the low expenditure of central funds on various developmental schemes.
He said only Rs 11 crore was spent against a target of spending Rs 150 crore in Ludhiana district. An angry Tewari said state government officials had come to the meeting without any preparation. He asked deputy commissioner Rajat Aggarwal to enquire why so little money had been spent.
Tewari said a district in Rajasthan, ruled by the Congress, spent nearly Rs 2,000 crore under MGNREGA.
"There is no reason why Ludhiana could not spend the targeted amount, particularly when there were no budgetary restrictions on expenditure under the scheme as it was need-based," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal