Manpreet Badal resigns as MLA; likely to float new party
Chandigarh: Former Punjab Finance
Minister Manpreet Singh Badal on Saturday resigned from the state
Assembly and is likely to float his new party.
In his four-page resignation letter submitted to
Speaker Nirmal Singh Kahlon, Badal accused the Punjab Chief
Minister of "not understanding that the state was in debt and
that it could work together with the Centre to avail debt
Manpreet was axed from the ministry after his
statements regarding Punjab`s Rs 70,000 crore debt.
The former Finance Minister said, "I was pained at the
wisdom of the CM. It is his prerogative. I leave it to him
(Badal) and for history to decide whether the decision of
sacrificing the interest of Punjab was more important than
"In the light of this, I am tendering my resignation
from Vidhan Sabha as MLA of SAD as well as resignation from
primary membership of the party," he said.
An MLA from Gidderbaha since 1995, 48-year-old
Manpreet was expelled from the SAD. He is likely to float his
new party at Khatkar Kalan in Nawanshahar tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees