Manpreet Badal resigns as MLA; likely to float new party
Chandigarh: Former Punjab Finance
Minister Manpreet Singh Badal on Saturday resigned from the state
Assembly and is likely to float his new party.
In his four-page resignation letter submitted to
Speaker Nirmal Singh Kahlon, Badal accused the Punjab Chief
Minister of "not understanding that the state was in debt and
that it could work together with the Centre to avail debt
Manpreet was axed from the ministry after his
statements regarding Punjab`s Rs 70,000 crore debt.
The former Finance Minister said, "I was pained at the
wisdom of the CM. It is his prerogative. I leave it to him
(Badal) and for history to decide whether the decision of
sacrificing the interest of Punjab was more important than
"In the light of this, I am tendering my resignation
from Vidhan Sabha as MLA of SAD as well as resignation from
primary membership of the party," he said.
An MLA from Gidderbaha since 1995, 48-year-old
Manpreet was expelled from the SAD. He is likely to float his
new party at Khatkar Kalan in Nawanshahar tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal