Mazhabi Sikhs protest outside Badal`s residence
Chandigarh: Mazhabi Sikhs Friday staged a
demonstration outside Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh
Badal`s residence here demanding among other things job quota.
Chanting slogans, they said they wanted to meet the
Chief Minister in connection with their demands.
Besides reservation in jobs, their demands included
hike in old-age and widow pensions.
Badal, however, did not meet them and his staff told
them to come on some other day for an audience with the Chief
"Badal did not meet us to listen to our demands. We
were told to come next time. This has angered us and we have
lodged a protest," Valmiki Mazhabi Sikh Bachao Morcha chief
Avtar Singh Sahota said.
The protesters, however, disbursed later, he said.
A Mazhabi is a member of the former scavenger class
of Hindus who have converted to Sikhism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued