Mazhabi Sikhs protest outside Badal`s residence
Chandigarh: Mazhabi Sikhs Friday staged a
demonstration outside Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh
Badal`s residence here demanding among other things job quota.
Chanting slogans, they said they wanted to meet the
Chief Minister in connection with their demands.
Besides reservation in jobs, their demands included
hike in old-age and widow pensions.
Badal, however, did not meet them and his staff told
them to come on some other day for an audience with the Chief
"Badal did not meet us to listen to our demands. We
were told to come next time. This has angered us and we have
lodged a protest," Valmiki Mazhabi Sikh Bachao Morcha chief
Avtar Singh Sahota said.
The protesters, however, disbursed later, he said.
A Mazhabi is a member of the former scavenger class
of Hindus who have converted to Sikhism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal