Mercury rises marginally in Punjab, Haryana
New Delhi: Parts of north India continued to reel under cold conditions on Wednesday though the mercury inched upwards in Punjab and Haryana providing relief to the people.
There was no major change in the weather in Delhi as temperatures remained normal on a sunny day.
The day temperature in the national capital was recorded at 23.4 degrees Celsius, normal for this part of the season, while the minimum was 10.3 degrees, slightly above yesterday`s 9.5 degrees.
The cold prevailed in higher reaches of Himachal Pradesh even as temperatures in lower hills rose by a few notches with the weather remaining dry under clear skies.
Keylong and Kalpa in Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur districts were grappling with biting cold recording lows of -6.1 and -5.6 degrees respectively while the minimum in Manali touched 0.8 degrees.
The chill was also palpable across Kashmir Valley though minimum temperatures in the Ladakh region appreciated by several degrees.
Srinagar recorded a low of 0.5 degrees, same as the previous night, while the scenic Gulmarg ski resort saw the mercury settling at -7.8 degrees as compared to -8.6 degrees the night before.
Ladakh region, however, experienced a slight increase in night temperatures with Leh registering a low of -12.6 degrees as against the previous night`s -14.1.
The cold had relented at many places in Punjab and Haryana as minimum temperatures rose a couple of notches above normal.
Chandigarh registered a low of 9.9 degrees, two notches above normal, while in Haryana`s Ambala the minimum was up a notch to settle at 9.8 degrees.
Amritsar, where conditions had been especially cold in the past few days, registered an increase of two notches in the minimum which touched 8 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?