Minimum temperatures rise across Punjab & Haryana
Chandigarh: With most places across Punjab and Haryana as well as Chandigarh experiencing rainfall in the past 24 hours, minimum temperatures in the region rose sharply Monday.
Compared to the sub-zero and near freezing temperatures recorded at certain places in the last one month, the minimum temperatures recorded at most places in the region were, for the first time in recent days, in double-digits.
Amritsar, which recorded a low of minus 2.8 degrees earlier this month, recorded a low of 10.4 degrees, seven degrees above normal. Ludhiana and Patiala recorded lows of 10.7 degrees each, five degrees above normal.
Amritsar received over 27 mm of rain in the past 24 hours while Ludhiana received over 15.3 mm.
However, the maximum temperatures at most places were recorded much lower in the past 24 hours. Met officials here said that the maximum temperatures were three to eight degrees below normal.
Amritsar and Ludhiana in Punjab recorded highs of 13.2 and 13 degrees, six degrees below normal.
Chandigarh recorded a high and low of 13.4 degrees -- eight degrees below normal, and 11.2 degrees. The city received 12.8 mm of rain in the past 24 hours.
Some places in Haryana turned warmer in the past 24 hours. Hisar, Bhiwani and Rohtak in Haryana were quite warm with the maximum temperature recorded at 26.1, 24.6 and 23.9 degrees, respectively. In Hisar, the high was five degrees above normal.
The Met office has forecast rain or thundershowers at some places in the next 24 hours in Punjab and Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez