Minor rape victim undergoes operation, still critical
Chandigarh: The two-and-a-half-year-old girl, who was allegedly gang-raped in a slum area in Punjab`s Ludhiana district, underwent an operation at PGIMER here even as her condition continued to remain serious.
The girl, who was gang-raped by unidentified persons in a slum area at Haibowal in Punjab`s Ludhiana district, underwent a complex operation at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) on Wednesday night.
PGIMER sources on Thursday said that the girl was still critical, but had started to respond to the treatment.
She had remained restless throughout the day when the doctors took her for examination, the sources added.
Meanwhile, Ludhiana Police said they were working on "every aspect" of the case and were hopeful of arresting the accused soon.
"We are investigating all angles. The girl`s father is a labourer and hails from Bihar. They were putting up in an open hutment slum in the area. There are a few more hutments there.
There is a possibility that the accused could be living somewhere nearby. We are randomly questioning people and are hopeful of carrying out arrests soon," Ludhiana`s Assistant Commissioner of Police (Central), Ramneesh Kumar said.
In an FIR lodged on Wednesday, the father of the victim said that his daughter was found in a semi-nude state and bleeding profusely at a little distance from their hutment.
The minor was initially rushed to a nearby hospital and later referred to PGIMER here. A case in the matter has been registered against unidentified persons.
The girl`s father, who was in a state of shock, told reporters here that the girl had been picked up from the hutment in early hours of Tuesday.
When the family woke up in the wee hours they could not find her after which police was informed, who later discovered the child on the roadside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore