Moga by-poll: 11 candidates in fray
Chandigarh: Eleven candidates are in the fray for Moga by-poll, slated for February 23, after the scrutiny of nomination papers.
A spokesperson of the office of the Chief Electoral Officer Punjab said that the office received 16 nominations, out of which 5 were rejected for various reasons.
He further said that candidates could withdraw their nominations by February 9.
11 candidates who are in the fray include Joginderpal Jain of SAD-BJP, Sathi Vijay Kumar of Congress, Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal of Peoples Party of Punjab, Birinderpal Singh of Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) among others.
Meanwhile, Election Commission of India also clarified that EVMs are completely tamper-proof.
Disclosing this here today, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), Punjab said the Commission has issued detailed instructions regarding security and storage of EVMs.
The clarification comes in the wake of Punjab Congress working committee member Jagmeet Singh Brar recent allegation about the possible tamperability of EVMs in the media.
He had demanded the use of EVMs equipped with VVPAT system for Moga election but ECI did not receive any such letter from Jagmeet Brar, said the release.
District election officer has reported that representatives of all political parties were satisfied with the first level check of EVMs and nobody raised any objection at that time. The entire proceedings were videographed, release said.
In the circumstances it is improper to make such baseless allegations, CEO Punjab in the release noted, saying that EVMs used by the Election Commission were completely tamper-proof.
"It is not possible to hack into them," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm