Moga by-poll: 11 candidates in fray
Chandigarh: Eleven candidates are in the fray for Moga by-poll, slated for February 23, after the scrutiny of nomination papers.
A spokesperson of the office of the Chief Electoral Officer Punjab said that the office received 16 nominations, out of which 5 were rejected for various reasons.
He further said that candidates could withdraw their nominations by February 9.
11 candidates who are in the fray include Joginderpal Jain of SAD-BJP, Sathi Vijay Kumar of Congress, Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal of Peoples Party of Punjab, Birinderpal Singh of Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) among others.
Meanwhile, Election Commission of India also clarified that EVMs are completely tamper-proof.
Disclosing this here today, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), Punjab said the Commission has issued detailed instructions regarding security and storage of EVMs.
The clarification comes in the wake of Punjab Congress working committee member Jagmeet Singh Brar recent allegation about the possible tamperability of EVMs in the media.
He had demanded the use of EVMs equipped with VVPAT system for Moga election but ECI did not receive any such letter from Jagmeet Brar, said the release.
District election officer has reported that representatives of all political parties were satisfied with the first level check of EVMs and nobody raised any objection at that time. The entire proceedings were videographed, release said.
In the circumstances it is improper to make such baseless allegations, CEO Punjab in the release noted, saying that EVMs used by the Election Commission were completely tamper-proof.
"It is not possible to hack into them," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!