Moga by-polls: Over 70 per cent turnout
Moga: Over 70 per cent of the eligible voters cast their ballots on Saturday in the by-election to Moga Assembly constituency in Punjab, where the main fight is between the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal and main opposition Congress.
The polling, which was held amid tight security, was dull in the morning due to rainy weather but picked up as the day progressed and people flocked the booths to cast their votes, Election Commission officials said.
The polling was peaceful, and there was no report of any untoward incident from the constituency, a senior official said.
"As many as 70.33 per cent of the voters exercised their franchise. The percentage can go up slightly. The polling remained peaceful and no untoward incident was reported," Punjab`s Chief Electoral Officer, Kusumjit Sidhu told PTI in Chandigarh.
At Moga grain market polling booth, 96-year-old Gyanwati was also among those who cast their vote.
In 2012 assembly polls, Moga, which is also birthplace of Lala Lajpat Rai, had registered a poll percentage of 78 per cent.
Polling, which started at 8 AM and ended nine hours later, had to be stopped for about 40 minutes at booth number 171 in the morning following some defect in a EVM, which was changed and the voting later resumed.
A total of 1,79,338 voters were eligible to exercise their franchise. While 69 booths were hyper sensitive, 90 had been declared as sensitive out of the total 188.
While a total of 10 candidates were in the fray, the main contest was between the ruling SAD-BJP`s Joginder Pal Jain and main opposition Congress` Vijay Kumar Sathi.
In their poll campaign, the Congress had urged the voters to reject turncoat Jain while SAD had asked the people to vote for development.
Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal of People`s Party of Punjab, a candidate enjoying support of the Sanjha Morcha, a group of various political outfits, was also in the fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?