Municipal elections reduced to a `joke`: Cong
New Delhi: Defeated in municipal corporation polls in Punjab, Congress on Monday alleged that the ruling SAD-BJP combine had unleashed unprecedented "state terror" and reduced the elections to a "joke".
"There was no election in Punjab. It was a joke. It was complete subversion of the democratic process through state terror and intimidation," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters.
Tewari, who is himself a Lok Sabha member from the state, claimed that there was no law and order in any city during the polls, which saw "high handed use of force ever seen" in the state.
The SAD-BJP combine in Punjab yesterday swept the civic polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world