Municipal elections reduced to a `joke`: Cong
New Delhi: Defeated in municipal corporation polls in Punjab, Congress on Monday alleged that the ruling SAD-BJP combine had unleashed unprecedented "state terror" and reduced the elections to a "joke".
"There was no election in Punjab. It was a joke. It was complete subversion of the democratic process through state terror and intimidation," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters.
Tewari, who is himself a Lok Sabha member from the state, claimed that there was no law and order in any city during the polls, which saw "high handed use of force ever seen" in the state.
The SAD-BJP combine in Punjab yesterday swept the civic polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'