Municipal elections reduced to a `joke`: Cong
New Delhi: Defeated in municipal corporation polls in Punjab, Congress on Monday alleged that the ruling SAD-BJP combine had unleashed unprecedented "state terror" and reduced the elections to a "joke".
"There was no election in Punjab. It was a joke. It was complete subversion of the democratic process through state terror and intimidation," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters.
Tewari, who is himself a Lok Sabha member from the state, claimed that there was no law and order in any city during the polls, which saw "high handed use of force ever seen" in the state.
The SAD-BJP combine in Punjab yesterday swept the civic polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore