Municipal elections reduced to a `joke`: Cong
New Delhi: Defeated in municipal corporation polls in Punjab, Congress on Monday alleged that the ruling SAD-BJP combine had unleashed unprecedented "state terror" and reduced the elections to a "joke".
"There was no election in Punjab. It was a joke. It was complete subversion of the democratic process through state terror and intimidation," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters.
Tewari, who is himself a Lok Sabha member from the state, claimed that there was no law and order in any city during the polls, which saw "high handed use of force ever seen" in the state.
The SAD-BJP combine in Punjab yesterday swept the civic polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan