Murdered in Melbourne, toddler Gurshan cremated in native town
Kotkapura (Punjab): Hundreds of people
from all walks of life Monday joined the funeral procession of
three-year-old Gurshan Singh Channa, who was killed in
Australia, as his mortal remains were consigned to flames.
The body, which was brought by the toddler`s parents
from Melbourne yesterday, was taken by the mourners from the
parental house to Rambagh cremation ground after passing
through the main streets of the town.
Apart from friends and relatives of the Channa family,
locals, representatives of all major political parties, NGOs
and senior officers of district administration were present to
share the grief of his inconsolable parents-- father Harjit
Singh Channa and mother Harpreet Kaur.
After the prayers by a Sikh cleric, the pyre was lit
Gurshan went missing from his house at Melbourne on
March 4 and later his body was found dumped on the outskirts
of the town.
Gursewak Dhillon, 23, a resident of the home
where the boy and his parents were also staying, has been
charged with manslaughter by criminal negligence over the
child`s death. He claims that he accidentally knocked the boy
down before dumping him 20 kms away from his residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites