Muslim artisans prepare effigies of Ravana
Fatehgarh Sahib: In a reflection of Hindu-Muslim amity, Muslim artisans are giving final touches to Ravana`s effigies for Dusshera celebrations.
Work here is being carried out on war footing to prepare effigies of Ravana and his brothers Meghnad and Kumbhkaran.
Year after year, Muslim artisans from Uttar Pradesh come especially to Fatehgarh Sahib district to prepare effigies of Ravana. The tradition has not been broken for the last several decades.
50-year-old Amerudeen, a resident of UP`s Muzzafarnagar district, who is busy in preparing the effigies in Mandi Gobindgarh here, said several Muslim artists from UP had come to Punjab to make effigies of the demon king.
He said they spend a week`s time to prepare an effigy, adding that they enjoy making the structures even though they are meant for a Hindu festival.
"For us, all religions are alike. We do not have any religious differences in our mind," Amerudeen said.
However, he said the cost of making these effigies had shot up.
"With the rise in the input cost, some organisers have cut down on the height and number of effigies of Ravana, Kumbhakarna and Meghnath," he said.
Artisans rued that the interest of people was gradually declining with the rise in investment costs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof