Namdhari sect chief dies in Punjab
Ludhiana: Namdhari sect chief, Satguru Sri Jagjit Singh Thursday died in a hospital here following prolonged illness, doctors said.
Doctors cited multiple organ failure as the reason behind the death of Jagjit Singh, who was over 90 years of age.
Expressing grief over the Namdhari chief`s death, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said that Jagjit Singh had given valuable services in ushering an era of communal harmony, brotherhood, peace and amity in the country.
He described the Satguru as a great spiritual ambassador and an eminent social reformer who played a proactive role in eradicating social evils like female foeticide, dowry and drug addiction from the society.
The Punjab government has declared a public holiday in all the educational institutions, offices, boards and corporations in Chandigarh as well as in the state Friday as a mark of respect to the legendary religious leader.
Congress leader and former chief minister Amarinder Singh also expressed grief over Jagjit Singh`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears