Navjot Singh Sidhu returns amid fanfare, says he was away to earn money
Amritsar: Cricketer-turned-BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu on Wednesday returned to Amritsar after a year and said his prolonged absence from his Lok Sabha constituency was due to his engagements in Mumbai to earn money.
"I am an honest man and I will tell you the truth. I went to Mumbai to earn money and that`s the reason I could not come here," he told reporters.
"Now I am available full-time for my voters," the BJP lawmaker said.
Sidhu along with his wife Navjot Kaur Sidhu visited the city after landing at the airport where he was welcomed by his enthusiastic supporters.
The former cricketer was taken to his constituency in a procession organised by the party workers.
Sidhu met all district administrators, including the Deputy Commissioner and the Mayor, and took stock of ongoing developmental works.
Local MLA and Congress leader Raj Kumar Verka slammed Sidhu saying he was "fooling" the people by arriving here ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
In a statement here, the National Commission for SC and ST chairman described Sidhu as a "fugitive" for the people of Amritsar.
"He has broken the people`s trust. He is a fugitive whom the residents will never believe," Verka said.
Last week, an NGO launched a poster campaign for the "missing" Sidhu and announced a reward of Rs two lakh for bringing him back to his constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back