Navjot Singh Sidhu returns amid fanfare, says he was away to earn money
Amritsar: Cricketer-turned-BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu on Wednesday returned to Amritsar after a year and said his prolonged absence from his Lok Sabha constituency was due to his engagements in Mumbai to earn money.
"I am an honest man and I will tell you the truth. I went to Mumbai to earn money and that`s the reason I could not come here," he told reporters.
"Now I am available full-time for my voters," the BJP lawmaker said.
Sidhu along with his wife Navjot Kaur Sidhu visited the city after landing at the airport where he was welcomed by his enthusiastic supporters.
The former cricketer was taken to his constituency in a procession organised by the party workers.
Sidhu met all district administrators, including the Deputy Commissioner and the Mayor, and took stock of ongoing developmental works.
Local MLA and Congress leader Raj Kumar Verka slammed Sidhu saying he was "fooling" the people by arriving here ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
In a statement here, the National Commission for SC and ST chairman described Sidhu as a "fugitive" for the people of Amritsar.
"He has broken the people`s trust. He is a fugitive whom the residents will never believe," Verka said.
Last week, an NGO launched a poster campaign for the "missing" Sidhu and announced a reward of Rs two lakh for bringing him back to his constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened